I’ve recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea (see this post) and am now waiting for my CPAP to arrive.
In the years leading up to that, I noticed I was intermittently getting poor sleep but never made the connection to sleep apnea.
Instead I implemented a number of other things that I read could improve sleep quality:
- Make the bedroom as dark as possible (tape up the windows)
- Use a sleeping mask to block out remaining light
- Earplugs to block out noise
- No caffeine after noon (or: no caffeine at all)
- No alcohol before bed
- Get lots of sunlight during the day
- Exercise during the day
- Avoid blue light at night (“night mode” + red glasses)
- Keep bedroom at a cool temperature
- Do something relaxing before bedtime (reading book, boring TV show) rather than something more stimulatory (working, texting people)
- Nasal spray to reduce congestion
- Supplements: Magnesium, Glycine, Valerian Root, Melatonin
- Early dinner, around 5 hours before going to sleep
- Probably forgot a few…
How much do these sleep hygiene measures affect your sleep quality, before and after CPAP use?
Can I go back to having my morning coffee without any adverse effects?